Stomach Cancer Treatment in Israel
Stomach cancer diagnosis and treatment in Top Ichilov is provided by leading Israeli specialists:
- Professor M. Inbar, oncologist – one of the world’s leading experts in cancer diagnosis and treatment.
- Surgeons: Professor J. Klausner, Doctor R. Greenberg, Doctor A. Subhi.
- Nutritionists and other specialists. The multidisciplinary team provides a comprehensive approach to treatment in Israel in order to achieve the best possible results.
According to the statistics, about 38% of stomach cancer cases diagnosed in the post-Soviet states are not confirmed by Israeli specialists.
Find out the cost of diagnostics in Ichilov
What to Expect from Diagnosis in Top Ichilov
First Day: Initial examination of the patient
- Doctor I. Molchanova performs physical examination, reviews the patient’s documents and compiles precise medical history.
- Tissue samples – slides (results of the biopsy performed in the country of residence) – are sent to the clinic’s laboratory for revision.
Doctor I. Molchanova refers the patient for the necessary diagnostic procedures which begin on the next day.
Second Day: Diagnosis
From 8 to 9 a.m. the patient together with their medical coordinator heads towards the laboratory for:
- complete blood count (CBC) and blood biochemistry;
- tumor marker tests, including beta HCG, CA 125 and CEA (carcinoembryonic antigen);
Having received the results, the patient undergoes an isotope scan – PET/CT (positron emission tomography). PET/CT shows the spread of cancer, detects distant metastases if there are any and helps determine the best treatment tactics for each individual case.
Third Day: Treatment plan
When the patient receives the PET/CT report and testing results (including laboratory’s response concerning biopsy revision), they consult with Professor M. Inbar, Israel’s leading specialist in cancer treatment.
Fourth Day: Start of treatment
Treatment starts in accordance with the protocol issued by Professor M. Inbar.
Length of staying in Israel for comprehensive diagnosis: 3-4 working days. Price: $3920.
Comprehensive telemedicine package for stomach cancer treatment: $540.
✓ Right Now: Get your free consultation with a Top Ichilov oncologist
It is important to correctly determine the type of the disease before starting treatment in the country of residence. Consult an Israeli physician right now, free of charge. Find out the prices for the necessary diagnostic procedures in Top Ichilov.
Get a free consultation of an Israeli physician
What Is the Difference Between Stomach Cancer Treatment in Israel and in the CIS Countries?
- Highly accurate diagnosis. The vast experience of Israeli pathologists helps correct diagnoses in 34% of patients from the post-Soviet states who come to Israel for stomach cancer treatment. In most cases, Israeli specialists detect tumors other than those described in the medical documents. Some tumors turn out to be not cancerous but benign.
- Use of modern treatment protocols. If in post-Soviet states, metastatic stomach cancer is mainly treated with conventional chemotherapy, in Israel most patients are prescribed personalized treatment protocols in accordance with the tumor’s molecular profile.
- Preference for minimally invasive surgery. In Israel, most total or partial gastrectomy procedures are laparoscopic. This reduces pain, lowers the risk of complications and allows for faster recovery.
Stomach cancer diagnosis and treatment in Top Ichilov is provided by Israel’s leading oncologists:
Professor Moshe Inbar – Head of Department, one of the most sought-after oncologists in the world. Was Head of the Israel Cancer Association (ICA) for many years. Develops, introduces and applies innovative stomach cancer treatment methods. Author of over 200 scientific papers.
Doctor Ron Greenberg – leading specialist in stomach and colon surgery. Professional experience: about 40 years. Has complete mastery of laparoscopic and organ-preserving surgery for stomach cancer.
Doctor Irina Stefanski – oncologist, Head of Chemotherapy Department, Deputy Head of Oncology Division. Professional experience in oncology: about 27 years. The best expert in comprehensive stomach cancer therapy in Israel.
Doctor Abeid Subhi – leading surgeon of the Ichilov Clinic. Specializes in surgery for cancers of the digestive system. Performs both open and laparoscopic procedures.
Get a treatment program and exact cost
4 Stomach Cancer Treatment Methods in Israel
Cancer treatment in Israel often includes several types of therapy. The personal treatment course is planned by a team of experts which may include an oncologist, a radiologist and a surgeon. The team approach in combination with the personnel’s competence and the newest technologies means that you will get the best results with the fewest side effects.
Surgery for Stomach Cancer
Surgery is widely used in the early stages of the disease. Surgery for stomach cancer is complicated, and success directly depends on the skills of an experienced surgeon. Our doctors use the newest technologies and perform numerous stomach surgeries with better results than doctors in many other cancer centers. Thanks to their high qualification the Top Ichilov surgeons perform organ-preserving procedures and leave as much healthy stomach tissue as possible.
Surgery in Israel – partial or total gastrectomy – may be laparoscopic or open. Some procedures also involve endoscopy, or approaching the stomach through the mouth without incisions (using a flexible probe, or an endoscope).
In the past, laparoscopic surgeries were considered less effective than open procedures. However, 13 recent studies showed that laparoscopic gastrectomy for stomach cancer is as effective as an open surgery.
- Partial gastrectomy involves partial removal of the stomach with cancer, nearby lymph nodes and – sometimes – parts of other organs affected by the tumor.
- Total gastrectomy means complete removal of the stomach. Often, doctors also remove nearby lymph nodes and the spleen. Sometimes, they remove a part of the intestines, pancreas or esophagus. During this procedure, the surgeon uses a part of the intestines to create a new “stomach”.
During surgery, doctors use an express test (FROZEN) on the removed tissue in order to preserve as much of the healthy organs as possible.
After the procedure, the patient stays in the surgery department for up to 4 days.
Calculate the cost of treatment
Chemotherapy and Radiation Therapy
Depending on the type of cancer, chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy may be recommended. The number of cycles also depends on the tumor type and the spread of cancer. In Israel, stomach cancer is treated in accordance with 3 standard protocols:
- pre-operative protocol “McMafi”;
- if surgery is impossible – “Foll Fox-6”;
- post-operative protocol “McDonald”.
These are the most effective of the existing treatment protocols. They combine chemotherapy and biochemotherapy. A study of treatment protocols with the biologic agent trastuzumab showed an increase in survival rates in patients with HER2-positive stomach cancer.
In between cycles of chemotherapy, patients often receive an immunomodulator which helps the patient recover for the next cycle in 2 weeks.
In order to improve the quality of life during chemotherapy, the Top Ichilov doctors individually select drugs against side effects. Depending on the patient’s response to treatment the following drugs may be recommended:
- antiemetic drugs;
- vitamin cocktails;
- topical creams and ointments, etc.
Researchers are now studying new drugs against stomach cancer. One of these studies showed high anti-cancer effectiveness of calprotectin, a protein produced by neutrophils in the mucous membrane of the colon. The scientists determined that calprotectin destroys stomach cancer cells 20 times more effectively than the modern anti-cancer drug etoposide.
This method studies the tumor in detail and determines the gene expression profile. Study results help select the most sparing and effective treatment aimed at the elimination of the individual causes of stomach cancer.
Stomach Cancer Treatment Methods Introduced in 2021
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy
This method detects affected lymph nodes and is used in breast cancer and melanoma staging. In 2021, Israeli specialists started to use it in stomach cancer treatment planning. Before the procedure, the patient receives an injection of a special radioactive substance. Then the specialists start the scan. The scan detects the lymph node which would first receive the spreading cancer cells. If the sentinel lymph node is “clean”, doctors do not remove any more lymph nodes.
- Panitumumab (Vectibix), a targeted therapy drug
Earlier, this drug was approved for treatment of other cancers. Since 2021, it is also used in Israel for stomach cancer therapy. The drug inhibits the EGFR protein which promotes the growth of cancerous stomach tumors. Overexpression of this protein is seen in 30-50% of digestive system cancers.
Get a treatment program and exact cost
What Is the Cost of Stomach Cancer Treatment in Israel?
|Stomach tumor: prices for treatment and diagnostic procedures in Israel||Prices (USD)|
|Surgical removal of the stomach (gastrectomy)||Inquire about price|
|Gastroscopy under sedation + tumor biopsy||Inquire about price|
|1 day of inpatient care for chemotherapy||1969|
|Appointment with an abdominal surgeon||539|
*Attention! Payments are received only by the Ichilov-Sourasky Clinic directly. Avoid intermediaries.
How to Start Stomach Cancer Treatment in the Top Ichilov Clinic?
Fill in the form below. Our physician will contact you within 2 hours.
Laparoscopic versus open gastrectomy for gastric cancer.
Trastuzumab in combination with chemotherapy versus chemotherapy alone for treatment of HER2-positive advanced gastric or gastro-oesophageal junction cancer (ToGA): a phase 3, open-label, randomised controlled trial.
Human calprotectin, a potent anticancer with minimal side effect.