The treatment for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), which involves a patient’s own stem cells, was developed in Israel by a team led by Prof. Ira Pastor. The clinical trials have been carried out under the auspices of the Israeli Ministry of Health.
The evaluation for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) in Israel takes 1 day. The cost of evaluation: from USD 665. ALS treatment in Top Ichilov is provided by Professor Nir Giladi.
Medication: riluzole, edaravone, tricyclic antidepressants, muscle relaxants, the AstroRx innovative drug.
Breathing support: non-invasive and invasive artificial lung ventilation.
Rehabilitation: physiotherapy, ergotherapy, pulmonary rehabilitation.
The ALS Diagnostic Program in Top Ichilov
The diagnostic program for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis is planned for 1 day (if the patient has a disc with the already-received MRI results). The evaluation includes a neurological examination and a consultation with a neurologist who provides revision of the MRI disc.
During the consultation, the doctor asks the patient about their symptoms, personal health history and family health history. By the end of the appointment, the doctor offers a treatment program.
The cost of the diagnostic program: USD 665.
The Advantages of ALS Treatment in Israel
- Comprehensive approach. Comprehensive ALS treatment in Israel is provided by a multidisciplinary team of experts. The therapy program includes pulmonary rehabilitation, physiotherapy and advanced medications. This significantly improves the patients’ survival.
- Use of innovative drugs. These drugs include AstroRx, the stem cell-based medication. In terms of effectiveness, it surpasses the drugs traditionally used for ALS.
Physicians Who Provide Diagnosis and Treatment for ALS in Israel
Professor Nir Giladi, neurologist with 40 years of professional experience. Head of Neurology Department at the Ichilov Hospital and Head of Neurology Department at the Tel Aviv University Faculty of Medicine.
Doctor Lyudmila Shopin, senior physician of Neurology Department at the Ichilov Hospital. Member of the Israel Neurological Association, specialist in neurodegenerative diseases.
Doctor Amir Dori, neurologist, Head of the Department of Neuromuscular Disorders and Electromyography at the Sheba Hospital. Specializes in muscular dystrophy and degenerative diseases. Worked at the leading clinics in the USA and Israel.
ALS Treatment Options in Israel
ALS treatment in Israel may include the use of the following medications:
- Riluzole. This drug improves the patients’ survival and helps delay the moment when artificial lung ventilation and tracheostomy become necessary. The drug is produced in the tablet and solution forms. Treatment is started immediately after diagnosis.
- Edaravone. The medication slows down the functional decline in some patients with early-stage disease. It is thought to protect the motor neurons from oxidative stress. The drug is infused intravenously during 10 days.
- Antidepressants. Gabapentin, pregabalin and tricyclic antidepressants are used for neuropathic pain that is sometimes associated with the condition. Depression is treated with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors.
- Muscle relaxants. ALS-associated spasms are treated with such medications as baclofen and tizanidine. Recent clinical trials have shown that mexiletine is also a safe and effective drug against ALS-associated spasms.
- Non-invasive lung ventilation. Non-invasive lung ventilation is the main treatment for respiratory failure in ALS patients. Oxygen is delivered to the special mask attached to the face. Non-invasive lung ventilation starts immediately after the onset of respiratory symptoms. In this case, it improves the patients’ survival better than medication.
- Invasive lung ventilation. For this procedure, the doctor makes an incision in the windpipe (a tracheostoma) and ensures lung ventilation with the help of a tube and a special machine. Invasive lung ventilation improves survival rates of ALS patients, especially those under 60 years of age.
Special exercises reduce muscle weakness, improve speech and swallowing and increase the patients’ quality of life. Experts recommend walking, cycling, and swimming. Breathing exercises are also used.
Ergotherapy is also very important. In Israel, it is provided with special devices and computer software.
How to Receive Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Treatment in Top Ichilov
Fill in the form below. Our physician will contact you within 2 hours.