Colon Cancer Treatment in Israel
Survival rates for colon cancer in Israel have been steadily rising for the last 15 years. This is related to the development of diagnostic capabilities and, as a result, to the increased per cent of early detection cases when the disease is found in its polyp stage. These polyps are immediately removed during colonoscopy so that they don’t turn into cancer.
Genetic studies offered in the Israeli clinic “Top Ichilov” allow for identification of people in the risk group. These people need more thorough examination.
If colon cancer is found early, in Israel it is completely cured in 90% of cases.
What to Expect from Colon Cancer Diagnosis in Top Ichilov
1st Day: Initial examination:
- Physical exam and consultation, health history, medical records, referrals for diagnostic procedures by Dr. I. Molchanova, Head of Cancer Diagnosis Department.
- Tissue samples (slides and/or paraffin blocks) are immediately sent to the laboratory for revision.
2nd Day: Diagnosis:
- Complete blood count and biochemical profile.
- Blood tests for carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA). CEA is a tumor marker specific for colon cancer. CEA levels are also used to control treatment.
- PET/CT (positron emission tomography combined with computed tomography) or CT.
3rd Day: Treatment plan:
To summarize the diagnostic results and receive a treatment plan, the patient visits a specialist:
- oncologist (Professor M. Inbar);
- surgical oncologist (Professor J. Klausner).
Final consultation: summary of diagnostic results, review and certification of the medical records translated into Russian, expert recommendations, prescriptions according to the treatment protocol.
Time for outpatient program implementation: 3-4 working days.
Price for colon cancer diagnosis and treatment with Professor Moshe Inbar in Israel: $2935.
Comprehensive telemedicine package for colon cancer treatment: $540.
✓ Right Now: Get your free consultation with a Top Ichilov physician
It is important to correctly determine the type of the disease before starting treatment in the country of residence. Consult an Israeli physician right now, free of charge. Find out the prices for the necessary diagnostic procedures in Top Ichilov.
Find out the cost of diagnostics in Ichilov
What are the Benefits of Colon Cancer Treatment in Israel?
- Testing for KRAS, NRAS gene mutations. This test helps identify those patients who may benefit from biologic therapy which is more effective and causes fewer side effects in comparison with conventional chemotherapy.
- Biologic drugs. These are medications of the future which help the immune system recognize cancer cells and destroy them.
- Wide use of PET/CT. This instrumental method of diagnosis has been the only appropriate method of colon cancer diagnosis and treatment control in Israel for the last 20 years. It allows for tumor detection in the earliest stages of cancer. PET/CT is also used to identify and locate metastases, even the ones too small to be detected by such regular methods as CT or ultrasound.
- Modern treatment methods:
- Personalized approach. The doctor may withdraw from one treatment protocol and use a combination of different protocols to achieve the best results.
- Biologic drugs. These are the medications of the future. Biologic drugs are first tried on the patient’s tissue sample. If the drug is effective, the entire body is exposed to it.
- Doctor’s personality. Cancer treatment in Israel is provided by the world-known experienced specialists. For instance, the Top Ichilov patients with colon cancer are treated by the leading oncologist, Professor M. Inbar.
Who Detects and Treats Colon Cancer in Top Ichilov?
Examination and treatment of colon cancer patients in Top Ichilov is provided by Israel’s leading oncologists:
Professor Moshe Inbar – Head of Department, world-famous oncologist. Was Head of the Israel Cancer Association (ICA) for many years. Develops, implements and applies innovative colon cancer treatment methods. Author of over 200 scientific papers.
Professor Joseph Klausner – world-known abdominal surgeon. Has been operating on the organs of the digestive system for more than 40 years. Heads the surgery department of the Ichilov medical center. Winner of prestigious Israeli and international awards; author of over 250 scientific papers.
Doctor Irina Stefanski – oncologist, Head of Chemotherapy Department, Deputy Head of Oncology Division. Professional experience in oncology: about 27 years. The best expert in comprehensive colon cancer therapy in Israel.
Doctor Ron Greenberg – leading specialist in stomach and colon surgery. Operates in the Top Ichilov hospital. Professional experience: about 40 years. Has complete mastery of laparoscopic and organ-preserving surgery for colon cancer.
Professor Einat Even-Sapir – the best Israeli expert in nuclear medicine. Interprets PET/CT scans which are used for colon cancer staging and metastasis detection all over Israel.
Doctor Diana Matseevski – leading oncologist of the Ichilov hospital. Specializes in cancer treatment with radiation therapy and chemotherapy. Treats gynecologic cancers and malignant tumors of the breast.
Doctor Einat Shaham-Shmueli – oncologist with about 30 years of clinical experience. Runs international studies of digestive system cancers. Uses state-of-the-art radiation therapy techniques.
Get a free consultation of an Israeli physician
5 Methods of Colon Cancer Treatment in Israel
At present, Israeli specialists use the following 5 methods of colon cancer treatment:
- Radiofrequency ablation.
- Radiation therapy.
The selection of treatment methods depends on the progression and current stage of the disease. It also varies from patient to patient.
Surgical Removal of Colon Cancer
Surgery (surgical removal of the tumor) is the most common treatment method used in all stages of colon cancer. For instance: carcinoid tumor treatment in Israel. The type of procedure preferred by the Top Ichilov surgeon depends on the cancer stage and the location of the tumor:
- Polypectomy. Polyps on the inner side of the colon are generally removed during colonoscopy.
- Colectomy. The surgeon removes the affected area of the colon with a margin of surrounding healthy tissues. Nearby lymph nodes are removed for subsequent microscopic examination. Removal of the right or left segment of the colon is known as hemicolectomy, or partial colectomy.
The doctor chooses the surgical approach with every patient individually and decides what would benefit the patient more: conventional open surgery or minimally invasive laparoscopic procedure. The doctor may recommend the following procedures:
- Colon resection with anastomosis. During partial colectomy the surgeon removes the affected part of the colon and some surrounding healthy tissues. He also removes nearby lymph nodes for microscopic examination and detection of cancer cells. Then, the doctor performs an anastomosis (connects the healthy parts of the colon).
- Colon resection with colostomy. If the two ends of the colon cannot be connected, the doctor creates a stoma, or an opening in the abdominal wall. The end of the colon is connected to this opening so that stool can pass through it. Fecal masses are collected in a special container which the patient wears on their body. This procedure is known as colostomy. Israeli surgeons do everything they can to avoid this procedure and preserve the patient’s ability to pass stool normally.
- Endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR). This method may be used in the 1st or 2nd stage of colon cancer. The procedure is done without incisions in the abdominal wall. The doctor uses a flexible probe, or an endoscope, which is passed into the colon through the anus and rectum.
- Endoluminal stenting. This is a minimally invasive procedure which involves endoscopic techniques of stent placement. Stents support the lumen of the colon. The surgery is indicated for patients with increasing bowel obstruction as a modern alternative to colostomy.
Receive a treatment program and exact prices
Tumor destruction in colon cancer may be also achieved with the help of radiofrequency ablation. This procedure is performed with a special probe with tiny electrodes which kill cancer cells.
Sometimes the probe is introduced directly through the skin; this outpatient procedure is performed under local anesthesia. Alternatively, the probe may be introduced through an abdominal incision. This surgery is performed in the hospital under general anesthesia.
At present, colon cancer may be treated with cryosurgery. Cryosurgery, or cryotherapy, is a procedure that involves freezing cancer cells with a special instrument. Freezing destroys the tumor cells.
Chemotherapy for colon cancer in Israel is an essential part of treatment in the later stages of the disease. It may also be prescribed in the earlier stages in addition to surgery.
In some cases, pre-operative chemotherapy helps avoid colostomy and subsequent decrease in the quality of life. Thanks to the personalized approach to chemotherapy protocols Israeli oncologists maintain higher survival rates of colon cancer patients.
The Top Ichilov oncologists offer state-of-the-art, effective chemotherapy options for colon cancer.
Chemotherapy may be used to:
- shrink the tumor prior to surgery;
- reduce the risk of cancer recurrence after surgery;
- prolong the patient’s life if surgery is impossible.
Colon cancer in Top Ichilov is treated with innovative radiation therapy techniques, including:
- 3D conformal radiation therapy. The combination of several beams coming from different sources significantly reduces radiation exposure and protects nearby tissues while giving maximum impact in the target point.
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT). The patient undergoes simulation (3D tumor model development) prior to the procedure. Irradiation depends on the form of the tumor.
Calculate the cost of treatment
Methods of Colon Cancer Treatment Introduced on 2023
- Triple therapy: encorafenib, binimetinib and cetuximab. This treatment scheme was approved by FDA as a breakthrough in colon cancer treatment after a clinical trial held in 15 countries. Survival rates of those patients who had undergone innovative treatment proved to be almost two times higher than survival rates after conventional chemotherapy. Israeli specialists started to use this protocol in 2021.
- Robot-assisted colon resection. The field of robotic surgery application in Israel is expanding nonstop. In 2021 doctors started using the Da Vinci robotic system for colon cancer surgery as well. Clinical trials showed that robot-assisted colon surgery is more effective and safe in comparison with conventional laparoscopic procedures.
The Cost of Colon Cancer Treatment in Israel in 2023
|Consultation with a surgical oncologist||519|
|Surgery for colon cancer||Inquire about price|
|Chemotherapy for colon cancer||starting from 531|
|Colonoscopy and tumor biopsy||starting from 557|
*Attention! Payments are only received by the Ichilov-Sourasky Clinic directly. Avoid intermediaries.
How to Get Colon Cancer Treatment in Top Ichilov:
Fill in the form below. Our physician will contact you within 2 hours.
Дата публикации December 29th, 2022