Stem Cell Treatment in Israel
Professor Shimon Slavin is a pioneer in the development of the theoretical and practical base of stem cell treatment unique not only in Israel but in the entire world.
This innovative treatment method is aimed at the rehabilitation or regulation of the patient’s immune system.
A disruption in the immune system can cause various diseases which are usually divided into 2 large groups:
- Diseases associated with an overactive immune system. When the immune system overreacts, it destroys healthy cells and gives rise to autoimmune diseases and conditions. This includes serious illnesses, such as multiple sclerosis, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, myasthenia gravis, etc., and less dangerous but still troublesome diseases: systemic lupus erythematosus, parkinsonism, scleroderma, dermatomyositis, Crohn’s disease, vitiligo, etc.
- Cancer is the most vivid example of the immune system’s hypoactivity. A hypoactive immune system doesn’t recognize the threat and doesn’t attack cancer cells.
Stem Cell Treatment for Autoimmune Diseases
Patients with autoimmune diseases usually follow this plan of action:
- The patient consults with Prof. Slavin who may order additional diagnostic procedures.
- After confirmation of diagnosis, the doctor takes bone marrow samples. This is done under either local or general anesthesia (depends on the patient’s condition).
- The patient returns and stays at home for about 3 months. During this time, their bone marrow is being processed in a laboratory.
- Experts in a specially equipped laboratory separate mesenchymal stem cells from the bone marrow and clone them multiple times in order to receive a large population of healthy bone marrow cells.
- The patient arrives in Geneva (Switzerland) where the Professor’s affiliated clinic is situated. The patient stays for the implantation of mesenchymal sells and leaves the clinic in 4-5 days.
The cost of the entire treatment course, from the first consultation to the discharge from the clinic, amounts to $35,000.*
*The cost does not include the flights to Israel and Switzerland, hotel stay in Israel (in Switzerland, the patient is hospitalized) and additional diagnostic procedures needed to confirm the diagnosis.
Since the treatment cost is rather high, most people apply for the treatment of the diseases associated with imminent disability: multiple sclerosis and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
Right now, stem cell treatment for multiple sclerosis is performed in Israel only. However, Oxford experts are certain that Professor Slavin’s method is a priority for the medicine of the future.
Stem Cell Treatment for Cancer (Immunotherapy)
Stem cell treatment for cancer was also developed in Israel and remains Professor Slavin’s know-how.
The cancer treatment method is based on an entirely different procedure:
- The doctor biopsies the tumor (or the patient provides already-biopsied tissue samples in paraffin blocks).
- The experts use the tissue bank and select another patient’s pathological material. Even though the other patient has the same type of cancer, the sample contains different tissue-specific antigens.
- In a laboratory, experts “introduce” the tumor tissue taken from the bank to the patient’s immune cells. Since the tissue has a different antigen structure, immune cells recognize it as foreign and attack. Thus, the immune system is being “educated”.
- Then the educated cells are cloned multiple times and reintroduced into the patient’s body.
- Now, when the immune system finds tissue that it has been trained to eliminate, it attacks and destroys cancer cells. Therefore, donor cells serve as activators for the patient’s immune system.
This technology is guaranteed against side effects!
The duration of the course is also about 3 months.
The cost of treatment: $35,000.
*Terminal cancer patients are excluded from the program. The treatment is indicated only for those who are able to walk, eat, adequately assess their surroundings and, according to the doctors’ prognoses, wait for the treatment results.
Stem Cell Treatment for Arthrosis in Israel
The stem cells’ ability to transform into the cells of the surrounding tissue is also widely used in orthopedics – for instance, for arthrosis caused by degeneration of cartilage.
Stem cell treatment for arthrosis is a simple, safe and highly effective procedure which is becoming increasingly popular in Israel.
The procedure does not require special preparation and lasts for 1 hour only.
- The doctor takes bone marrow samples while the patient is under general anesthesia.
- The doctor collects stem cells using modern centrifugal equipment.
- Using a fine needle, the doctor injects stem cells into the cartilage tissue of the joint.
The effect from the procedure becomes distinct in a week. In 2 months, it manifests entirely.
The cost of treatment amounts to only $15,000 which is comparable to the cost of invasive arthroscopic surgery.
Genetic Engineering and Immunotherapy in Israel
In 2002, for the first time in Israel, Prof. Sh. Slavin’s genetic engineering method helped cure a rare genetic disease which is now defined as severe combined immunodeficiency (SCID, also known as bubble boy disease, alymphocytosis, Glanzmann-Riniker syndrome, thymic alymphoplasia).
According to Professor Slavin, previously, doctors also tried to introduce missing enzymes using genetic engineering techniques, but the healthy cells still couldn’t overpower the diseased ones.
We, however, have managed to successfully enhance the genetically engineered cells.
Professor Shimon Slavin is a permanent resident of the Top Ichilov Clinic.
How to Receive Stem Cell Treatment in Top Ichilov:
Contact the clinic by calling at the free number 972-3-7621629 (your call will be automatically forwarded to Israel).