World-class expert in sarcoma therapy. Specialist in lung cancer treatment.
- General oncology.– Cancer treatment in Israeli clinics is based on personalized medicine. Every patient receives an individual treatment protocol developed according to the particular characteristics of the disease. This allows for treatment of cancer even in the later stages.
- The professor leads a multidisciplinary team that treats osteosarcomas in accordance with advanced protocols with preservation of affected limbs.
- Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Faculty of Medicine
- Tel Aviv University, Professor of the Faculty of Medicine
- Tel Aviv University, internship and certification in oncology
- Cancer Research Institute Gustave Roussy (Paris, France), training in bone and soft tissue sarcoma treatment
- New York Hospital Medical Center (New York, USA), residency in radiation therapy and brachytherapy
- Since 2002:Head of the subdivision of bone and soft tissue tumor treatment, Department of Oncology, Ichilov Medical Center
- Since 2001:Private practice in the Top Ichilov Medical Center
- 1984-1989:Physician of the Israel Defense Forces, head of the Northern Command military commission
- Israeli Society for Clinical Oncology and Radiotherapy (ISCORT)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO)
- European Musculo-Skeletal Oncology Society (EMSOS)
- Connective Tissue Oncology Society (CTOS)
Professor Merimsky Talks about Lung Cancer Treatment:
“The more the science develops, the more personalized becomes the treatment that we offer to every patient. Today, we have more opportunities to cure lung cancer, and in the future, thanks to the revolution in oncology, immunotherapy will become one of the common cancer treatment methods alongside surgery, radiation therapy, and chemotherapy. We have been testing various combinations of immunotherapy and chemotherapy in order to better control the disease with all available methods.
Targeted biological drugs were developed to detect and neutralize specific proteins on the tumor surface so their effect on the healthy organs is minimal. This is the new, game-changing stage of treating various types of lung cancer: immunologic drugs developed by molecular biology experts help personalize treatment and increase its quality.
Only 30 years ago, some types of cancer, including non-small cell lung cancer, were incurable. Nowadays, we can stimulate the patient’s immune system and offer them more effective and less toxic treatment. In addition, the development of oncology promotes personalization of treatment. This ensures better therapy results and increases the patients’ survival.
What is the Cost of Treatment in Top Ichilov
Treatment that suits one patient may be contraindicated for another patient. We have to make an informed choice, carry out thorough molecular genetic testing to select treatments with the best chances. This is why the treatment program is developed by a team of experts including pulmonologists, thoracic surgeons, thoracic imaging specialists, and a pathologist specializing in lung cancer, as well as medical oncologists and radiation therapists that treat lung cancer.”