Sarcoma Treatment in Israel
The Top Ichilov Clinic offers sarcoma diagnosis and treatment in Israel by Professor Ofer Merimsky. This is a professional with extensive clinical experience of watching and treating various cancers.
The Sarcoma Diagnosis Program in Top Ichilov
What are the Benefits of Sarcoma Treatment in Israel?
- Accurate diagnosis.
In 36% of patients coming to Israel to treat sarcoma, the diagnosis is not confirmed. As a rule, the Top Ichilov doctors face the following diagnostic errors:
- The patient indeed has a tumor but it is benign, not malignant, and requires different treatment.
- The tumor is indeed malignant, but the type of cancer cells has been misidentified.
- In some cases, patients provide tissue samples taken from another patient by error.
- Use of PET/CT for sarcoma diagnosis.
This imaging technology is extensively used in Israel. It allows for early detection of small growths and metastases, even if they are microscopic in size and cannot be detected with other methods.
- Use of IMRT, the so-called “radiation scalpel”.
This radiation therapy method only affects sarcoma tissues with no harm to healthy cells.
- Biological therapy drugs.
This is the treatment of the future aimed at stimulation of the immune system and destruction of the cancerous tumor.
Physicians Treating Sarcoma in Top Ichilov
Treatment and evaluation of the sarcoma patients in Top Ichilov is provided by the leading Israeli oncologists:
Professor Ofer Merimsky – oncologist, leading Israeli sarcoma treatment specialist. Deputy Head of the Oncology Department in Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center. Author of 231 scientific publications. Professor of Oncology Division at the School of Continuing Medical Education at Tel Aviv University.
Professor Jacob Bickels – orthopedic oncologist, has been Head of Bone Metastasis Department in Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center for 16 years. Since 2017: Head of Orthopedic Oncology Department in the Hillel Yaffe State Medical Center. Senior surgical oncology specialist in United Nations Surgeon’s Services. Author of 55 scientific papers on bone sarcoma surgery and limb replacement.
Doctor Irina Stefansky – oncologist, chief physician of the Oncology Department in Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center. One of the leading oncologists responsible for training of foreign physicians in the center. Is engaged in scientific research in oncology and makes reports at scientific conferences.
Get a free consultation of an Israeli physician
4 Sarcoma Treatment Methods in Israel
Sarcomas are usually treated with a combination of various methods. The treatment strategy depends on several factors:
- sarcoma location and type;
- extent of cancer spread;
- possible effect of treatment on the body;
- patient’s overall health.
Sarcoma treatment is planned individually in each case.
The Top Ichilov doctors treat sarcoma with the following methods:
- surgical removal of the tumor;
- radiation therapy;
- targeted therapy.
Surgical Excision of the Tumor
Surgery is the main treatment for soft tissue sarcomas. The effectiveness of surgical treatment is determined according to the results of instrumental studies, after detection of tumor borders and metastases.
During surgery, the doctor removes the tumor along with a margin of healthy tissue in order to destroy as many cancer cells as possible.
If the sarcoma is in the extremity, doctors perform sparing surgical procedures that allow the patient to keep their arm or leg.
Get a treatment program and exact prices
Suppression of tumor growth with chemotherapy agents is successfully used to eliminate some types of sarcoma. In some cases, chemotherapy is more effective when combined with other treatment methods.
Chemotherapy in Israel may be either used as the main sarcoma treatment method or combined with surgery or radiation therapy. Some doctors combine two or more different types of medication. Sarcoma of the extremity is sometimes treated with regional chemotherapy.
Normally, radiation therapy is not considered main sarcoma treatment method but still may be used before surgery in order to shrink the tumor, or after surgery in order to destroy remaining cancer cells.
In Israel, doctors use the following types of radiation therapy for sarcoma:
- Brachytherapy. Seeds with radiation sources are placed near the tumor.
- 3D conformal radiation therapy. The use of several radiation beams helps irradiate the tumor according to its precise shape (the tumor model is developed with the help of a computer).
- IMRT. This treatment method involves fractional, precise irradiation of the area affected by cancer cells. The method is combined with the modern technology of stereoscopic imaging and localization of cancer cells. It is a promising, efficient method with only a few side effects. It also can be further improved.
This is the most promising treatment method in Israel for cancer at any stage. Treatment involves use of biologically synthesized drugs that specifically affect poorly differentiated cancer cells and do no harm to healthy tissues.
What Is the Cost of Sarcoma Treatment in Israel?
|Treatment Procedure||Price (USD)|
|Consultation with an oncologist||595|
*Attention! Payments are only accepted directly by the Ichilov-Sourasky Clinic. Avoid intermediaries.
Calculate the cost of treatment
Sarcoma Treatment Methods Implemented in 2021
- Tazemetostat (Tazverik), a medication for epitheliod sarcoma. The new drug is used in patients over 16 years of age with an inoperable, locally advanced or metastatic tumor. According to clinical trials, Tazverik is effective in 26% of rare epitheliod sarcoma cases.
- Pomalidomide (Pomalyst), an immunomodulator for Kaposi sarcoma treatment. During clinical trials of this drug, the tumor disappeared partially or completely in 71% of patients, of which 14% achieved complete remission. Pomalyst is an immunotherapy drug. It stimulates T-cells to recognize and destroy cancer cells.
How to Receive Sarcoma Treatment in Top Ichilov
Fill in the form below. Our physician will contact you within 2 hours.